Monday, May 13, 2013

Experiment Three: The Country of Origin

New Zealand

Though I have lived in Australia my entire life, my parents and extended family hail from NZ. Visiting New Zealand, most especially the South Island, I have experienced a connection to land and place that has been missing from my experience of Australia. Where Australia offers a subtlety that I can appreciate, the worn down geography and dulled out palette have always left me uninspired. Perhaps that says more about a lack of ability to read significance in the microcosmic elements of the landscape, be they flora, fauna, or geological  than with any shortcomings with the country of my citizenship, Regardless, there is a drama in the excessive grandeur of the fjord lands, the Southern Alps and lakes of New Zealand that resonates with my experience of the world.


And so here is my first draft, capturing the feel of Milford Sound. It is very rough, and I hope to develop it further over the next couple of weeks, but not a terrible start...



No comments:

Post a Comment