Saturday, June 22, 2013

EXP3 Submission Component Two - 18 Sketch Perspectives

Although I did enjoy my introduction to perspective sketching in the form of one-point sketches at the very early stages of Experiment Three, I do believe that my work in the following weeks whilst learning to sketch in two-point became far more significant in architectural terms.

My sketches for one-point learning centred on the dissolution of the formal F into abstract geometries that made little reference to architectural application. In my approach to two-point, I eschewed this insistence on rendering the F unrecognisable in order to place greater emphasis on the dimensionality of the spaces I was drafting through the exercise.

It is for this reason that I will exclude my one-point work from this submission and present once again my set of 18 two-point sketch perspectives. My folly is based on column three, a simple amalgamation of three F shapes that share a common stem. In the environment of my valley, the folly is highly exposed to the elements, in the middle of the fjord, subject to wind, rain, and snow, and constructed completely without comfort. In designing this folly and situating it, I was directed by my theory to embrace an intense depravity that suggested to me that the students, and indeed the dean of the architecture school should be made to feel the intense weight of the vast land into which the architecture of the new school building has been placed, outweighing by far, at least for now, the inescapable gratuitousness of the project itself.




No comments:

Post a Comment