Monday, June 24, 2013

EXP3 Submission Component Six - Draft Environment

As written previously, my chosen valley is not so much a valley as it is a network of fjords. Milford Sound is a vast, grand, isolated, and also surprisingly lush environment. 


In modelling my valley in CryEngine after Milford Sound, I chose to emulate the sheer scale of the geography, and in doing so create a series of channels that would look at home in the fjordlands of the South Island. Where I consciously differed from Milford Sound was in maintaining a sparse, barren landscape of bleak, snow-driven peaks and bare rocky cliffs amongst a still, clear river. 


When the time came to export my model from SketchUp to CryEngine, I began to manipulate the global lighting and atmospheric density settings to enhance the sense of isolation and emptiness I was aiming to achieve. 


I positioned my bridge with its central pylon housing the school building anchored to the middle head of the fork in my river. On either end, the bridge span reached to the bare peaks of either side.


Having positioned all of my elements, and coordinated all moving parts, I moved on to begin to enhance the level of detail in the landscape, creating a patchwork of snow and rock in place of the initial snowy blankets that I had layered over my mountaintops.


No comments:

Post a Comment